Friday, December 24, 2010

Break for the Holidays, Amen.

Let's just be honest about this past year: I have notttttt read 40 books yet (which was my goal for the year)

Buttttt I am on my 26th & about 7 halves of other various books ha, oh me & my quirky reading habits. But that is still a major feat I feel for me this year, it's been a crazy one.

Okay now that that's out of the way, Lets just talk about winter break 2010.

Observations:
-Classic Davis house Christmas tree: white lights, red ribbon, & lots of white/crystal ornaments intermixed with classically home-made ones of the famous Dani & Nicholas Davis, iiiii thank you! ha love it.
-A severe lack in number of houses with christmas lights, or christmas lights lit at 9:30pm: a sad realization, however also allowing for good conversation with the greatest of a friend.

-The nature of growing up: #1 factor, facial hair factor on guys from home, what?! When did this happen, & When did you all grow into men? ha, also just the general maturing of friends & years inbetween our last meetings & memories, oh how a small trip home will remind you of the unstopping clock of time.
-A line of nike/vans in my room/closet: The beginning stages of a sibling taking over your room, ahhh I thought this day would never come! NooOOOOOO. haha, okay fine Nick, you can store your shoes, but i'm drawing a line.

Emotions:
-Joy: as I think is fitting as my first to write about because it is the one I feel the most of consuming my heart at home for this season. I have been so stressed & depressed lately, as a result for anyone trying to juggle 3 jobs & an endless list of bills & holiday expenses to top. Coming home & resting, breaking from my normal life, & jobs, & routine was a necessity & the people who have included me in their lives here this week have made it a true blessing from the moment I stepped off the plane. One of my dearest friends picked me up from the airport (I can't thank you enough, especially for waiting for my late flight & carrying my obnoxious ripped open box of holiday gifts! you're a gem, as always!), breakfast at Sylvia's before being taken home, a classic tradition I hope to keep forever & ever, amen? hah & since being home, spending time with those great friends, playing games, catching up & being encouraged & inspired from their lives & thoughts.
-Peace: Being up here has calmed a huge part of me. The part that goes from shifttoshifttocoffeetolunchtoballoons,&students,&friends. (If you didn't catch it there, that sentence leaves no room for breath, reflecting my lifestyle best). Not only have I been calmed from the general absence of work & duties I am responsible for, but being away from Orange County & my students really puts my job into a bigger picture for me. Just the 3 days I have been away I have talked to multiple students of mine, through text, call or the ever-favorite, facebook, and the amount of care and connection we have has been very amplified through absence. I always find it funny how life does that, allows you to see what you're in or doing when you take yourself out of it for a little while. I am looking forward to going back & loving my jobs separately, & with naps in between ;)
-Nostalgia: Of course, what would a Christmas holiday back home be without a little nostalgia right? It's not a deep longing that has got me thinking of quitting my jobs & moving back home, but it is an emotion I am feeling & perhaps always do & will at this season when I return home to where things are changing, but also seem constant & familiar to my senses. Seeing old, dear friends will do that to you when you sit around remembering the days you got your wisdom teeth out together & had to drink soup for dayyyyys, or the dances you danced away together, & the Napoleon dynamite dances you may or may not have learned every step to. Ha, these are the memories you remember that bring nostalgia, however, hearing about the degrees & families being made, & dreams being sought after are almost jusssst as good :)


Yes, this has definitely been a successful winter break, & much needed break at that, this year & for that I am thankful & ready for the holiday. Bring it on Saint Nick ;) Merry Christmas Eve everyone!


Danielle Nicole.

No comments:

Post a Comment