Sunday, June 12, 2011

Writing.


"First, I know this sounds like semantics, but being published doesn’t make you a writer. You’re a writer if you write. You’re a writer if you live and dream in words and phrases. You’re a writer if creating that one great sentence brings you illogical, untold joy.
You’re a writer if you write."
--Shauna Niequist via Her Blog.

This is one of the too-many-to-count-on-fingers-and-toes reasons I adore & admire this woman. From the moment I opened the orange cover of Cold Tangerines, this woman has been speaking to my soul, seriously. Through reading her books, hearing her speak at chapels, churches, & even at more intimate luncheons, she never seems to disappoint. And now, as she continues between books to blog and share her voice, I still find myself reading & thinking, "Uhhh how does this woman knoww what I need to hear???" And right now, her sharing her story about becoming a writer was really fun to read as her personality shines so brightly through, with little jokes & mannerisms along the way. But not only was it fun to read, it met me where I am at & I love that.

I don't consider myself a writer, however, I absolutely love writing. I love the place writing takes me, the way it makes me feel, throughout & after. The place of creativity and of genuine thought and emotion inside me. The place where I let my brain off the leash & run around freely. Free to roam throughout any thought, emotion, place within me or anyplace it wishes. I love words & what they bring to life and how they can evoke any kind of emotion imaginable, when placed together accordingly. And in this love for writing, I then read the above mentioned quote on Shauna Niequist's blog. Boom. Thank you Shauna, once again, for that speaking directly to my soul thing you do, it was dead on. I am a writer. Not because someone thinks I should be, or thinks I am. Not because my writing is posted anywhere, or because people read it. But because of that place that writing brings me to, & because of the way my heart twirls when I read something I have written & it pleases me because it compels, or because it makes someone laugh, or because it is real, deep, honest, truth. That, and that lovely relationship between my heart, mind, and a pen and paper (or my laptop), is why I am compelled to write, and to share, which makes me,

a writer.

Mmm beautiful awareness. Thank you Shauna, once again.



Danielle Nicole.

No comments:

Post a Comment