Sunday, April 14, 2013

To Be, To Love, To Eat.



 A Shauna Niequist book never fails to meet me right where I am at, and her latest, Bread & Wine, falls into suit once more. As I finished this book I thought about the times I had first read Cold Tangerines and then Bittersweet.

When I remember the season I first read Cold Tangerines I remember a second year of college with all of it's excitements and unknowns, but also the knowns and comforts of being a second year and not a freshman. It was sparkly and fun and screamed celebration all of the time. There were celebrations for living in our first apartment, for declaring our majors, and for dating our first serious boyfriends. I started my first small group off by having us all dive into this book. We got to know each other and learned fun, little, somewhat surfacy, but genuine things about one another throughout each page turned. 

And then our group stayed together and grew. And life kept happening as it does. Over the course of the next year and a half there were disappointments, and breakups, and deaths that were near to us. And just when we thought we couldn’t handle one more thing paining our hearts, bittersweet came to our doors and as we tried to wait for one another in different parts of the state to come together to read it, we each ended up reading it cover to cover in a couple days and bursting into confessions when we finally met faces. Bittersweet pulled us up from the graves we were stuck in, from the muck and tears, and darknesses we were blinded by and gave us new light, and new perspective. It reminded us of the good and of the Lord’s faithfulness, and of the truly bittersweet nature of this life.

And here I am now having just finished Bread & Wine, with those same girls, now begging me to send them my copy when I am finished so they can sneak a peak before their copies reach their doors. As we sat around the table tonight eating Shauna’s Basic Risotto and giving updates, I couldn't feel more at home, or at peace, or in the presence of God. Just eating, and sharing honest bits of food and of life together really is one of the most spiritual things we can do. Bread & Wine is gently calling me out. Reminding me what is needed at my core. Begging me to slow down and just be, and love, and eat. And as we caught up and drank red wine and finished our meal with vanilla ice cream swirled with cookie butter that night I was reminded of the chapter in Bread & Wine, A Bass Player's Birthday and this gem within it:


"But that night wasn't about the food. The food and the table and the laughter helped to create sacred space, a place to give someone the gift of words. That's what the night was about-- sacred space and words of love. Well, that and fresh raspberry ice cream." 


sacred space & words of love. 
Something each of us girls needed and provided that night together, around the table. Thanks Shauna for the beautiful reminder, and for the invitation for this group of girls to slow down, to love, and to eat. 




Danielle Nicole.




"My prayer is that we'll find ourselves drawn closer and closer to the heart of the story, the beautiful, beating heart of it all, that the chaos around us and within us will recede, and the most important things will be clear and lovely at every turn. I pray that we'll understand the transforming power that lies in saying no, because it's an act of faith, a tangible demonstration of the belief that you are so much more than what you do. I pray that we'll live with intention, hope, and love in this wild season and in every season, and that the God who loves us will bring new life to our worn-out hearts this year and every year, that we'll live, truly and deeply, in the present, instead of waiting, waiting, waiting for perfect." 

--Shauna Niequist, Bread & Wine.


"Gather the people you love around your table and feed them with love, honesty, and creativity. Feed them with your hands and the flavors and smells that remind you of home and beauty and the best stories you've ever heard, the best stories you've ever lived."

--Shauna Niequist, Bread & Wine.




2 comments:

  1. Well written Dani. I need to take writing lessons from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! & oh my, I am so flattered! I was thinking the opposite, your writing preaches Charlie!

    ReplyDelete